Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Lisa 4.0

Over the years that I lived in Arizona I made friends with very good people. If you know me in life, you know just how wonderful those people are.
Now I find myself in California, looking for ways to make new friends, and realizing that I have a world of Lisa-discovering to do.
I gave this conundrum some thought.

I realized that one of the things that makes these friends of mine so interesting is that they are very active. Not only do they run, bike, swim, row, rappel, they set personal goals for their physical endeavors and then do what is necessary to meet those goals. As things change – they realize a goal, they change their minds, they get an injury – their goals change. They are always challenging themselves and striving to be better. This gives you a unique outlook on life. It is positive, it means that there are no limits, and anything is possible.
I love my friends for these qualities!

Anyway, I decided that I want to meet more of these people in my life.

Coupled with that, I started thinking about what Lisa might like to do.
Now, one thing I really love doing (I don’t know why) is snorkeling. Being underwater with all those fish! There is a whole other world down there! Wait! Maybe its ‘cause I’m Aquarius??? Hmmm.

Anyway… I told my friend that I wanted to get certified to go scuba diving. I looked online and yikes, there are so many different ways to get out on the water starting from this Southern California coast! My friend said he would like to join me, so we are signed up to get certified next month.

My friend loves the outdoors. In exchange for him facing his fear of sharks (in a SWIMMING POOL!) I am going to take a course to overcome my fear of heights so that we can go rappelling together down waterfalls! I have done this once before with Meg and Tim down Salome in AZ, and I really enjoyed that, so am willing to take on this fear and add a harness to my list of gear. Why not? I’m trying to figure out what I like to do, and how will I know without trying?

I told my friend about adventure racing. I don’t know why, but I love it! I would be happy to volunteer at races I love being involved so much. My friend is intrigued. He thinks we should try do one together. I said to him… sir, you do realize that I don’t mountain bike, right?
His response: why not?
I thought a bit, and realized there was not valid reason.
So, we went out and bought bikes! And have gone riding. My friend is patient, and helps me resolve my concerns one at a time… which shift lever does what, using my legs instead of my gears, taking breaks, and becoming more confident hitting ruts.
I have a lot of endurance and leg strength to build, but I tell you, mountain biking is MUCH better than the leg-press machine!
I have been given the challenge of deciding on a race for us to do in the summer.

YIKES! What a bold new world of opportunities out there for me!
What possibilities?!

Now, I thought that my Musings might take on a new focus over these next weeks as I try out all these new activities and go through the learning process one thing at a time.

So this is Turning 40, Part 2.
Its “Lisa 4.0”
Its the future.

No comments: