Monday, September 07, 2009

Creating something new from something forever.

Now that it is September, I see in front of me a very interesting, exciting experience on the horizon.

My dad is one of three kids - he's the middle with an older brother and younger sister.
My uncle's oldest daughter (M) lives in England, and my aunt's oldest daughter (K) lives in Toronto.
Somehow, I think its because M was planning a trip to the US, we got this idea to all visit K for Rosh Hashanah. I didn't agonize or ponder and plan this, I just booked a ticket. But because there was all this other turmoil in my months of August and September, I didn't really think about it.
Now that things have calmed down, I realize that I am going to get a long weekend away from work, visiting with two of my cousins.
And I am REALLY excited!
I don't really have close relationships with my extended family - by that I mean as close as those with my immediate family.
Over the past couple months, I have gotten to know K over Facebook. My memories of her are very faded because when we all lived in the same country, I would spend time with her brother - him being closer to my age. K was out of reach because she was older.
I don't really remember M much from childhood either. She was younger, and has a brother my age, so again, it was with him that I would spend my time. But... when my youngest brother had his barmitzvah several years ago, M and I found ourselves sharing a room... and wow! I had a great time! She is kindred. I cannot wait to find out what she thinks of life and the world these days.

In fact, I can't wait to hear more from both of these fine ladies!

yes, I'll see Toronto, meet some very nice people (I can tell from Facebook that K has a circle of real friends), and celebrate a Holiday. But mostly, I look forward to sitting around with K and M and talking about stuff!

How exciting to kindle adult relationships with family!

No comments: