Tuesday, January 05, 2010

LISTS

So, I'm a planner... you probably know that...
but I did not do a good job planning for the walking in the bushveld.
In case you are on your way, here are some things I had and was grateful for, and some things I didn't have and wished I had thought to take on my trip.

Walking Safari Packing List

HAD:

● Sunblock
● Lip protection
SmartWool socks
● Tank tops
● Trail-runner sneakers
- these were fine, and I can't say that I would have preferred hiking boots. It was very wet in the morning from dew, and maybe gore.tex would have been better. The water was not an issue thanks to the SmartWool, and the sneakers dried out in the afternoon so were ready for the next day.


WISHED I'D HAD:

● WOMAN's long-sleeve khaki shirt
- Apparently brown attracts the flies, and I completely did not think about what I'd be wearing, so ended up borrowing this shirt from Eric.

GATORS.
- Boy, I feel stupid for forgetting these
Rhino Toilet

● Camelbak
- I had my bottle, but the pack would have been easier

● NUUN
- WISHED I'd had some of these!

● Brim hat
- I got a suede-breezy Rogue on the way home, but wished I'd had it during the hiking. I used a baseball cap, and they are not the best sunprotection for ears.
Bernard (Ranger)
(nice hat)

And since this is a post about LISTS, here is all the other stuff (besides the basics, like, underwear and toothbrushes) for the two weeks, and four different environments: Wedding, Diving, Safari, and general summer.

This is my suitcase/bag (well, I have an older version).

CLOTHES
Baseball hat
Board shorts
Fleece
Flip flops
Jeans (wore only on plane)
Sarong
Shorts
Skirts
Sneakers (wore on plane)
Sun dresses
Swimsuits
T-shirts
Tank tops

MEDICATION
Ibuprofen
Immodium
Peptobismal
Tylenol
General antibiotics

TOILETRIES
Aloe gel for sunburn (needed more)
Deet (life saver)
Dr Bronners
Hand Sanitizer
Sunblock
Wipes

OTHER
20hrs of entertainment (flight planning)
Books (barely read)
Car charger (USB car adapter to charge both iPhones and Blackberry)
Daypack (flight carry-on)
Flashlight
Headphones (didn’t use)
Kipling pouch
Maps
PADI and DAN cards
Passports (scanned and emailed the picture page to myself before leaving)
Pen
Presents for hosts and wedding couple
Printed directions to all locations
Power converter (used two of these. I love them because you can’t lose the adapters)
Sunglasses
Suunto D6 dive computer
Travel candle (didn’t use)
Travel tide (didn’t use)
Tweezers (didn’t use)

DIVE GEAR
Packed in this Akona bag:
7mil wetsuits
Booties
Snorkels
Masks
Fins


No comments: